Guilty pleasures. I love those two words together. They are so evocative, aren’t they? You know what I’m talking about, the kind of things that make you start when you get caught (guilty!) but that make you laugh or smile or get squishy in all the right places (pleasure!).
I’ve had my flings with some common guilty pleasures such as eating raw cookie dough (the tollhouse lady was aghast when we called to tell them how much we loved doing that when the break and bakes first came out. I think we might be the reason for the label warning!), singing I Will Survive at the top of my lungs in the car (much to the chagrin and horror of my teenage son) and drinking chocolate syrup straight from the bottle (‘nuff said).
But when I sat down and really thought about the things I do regularly, I realized I am a creature of guilty habits. Here are my top 5 guilty pleasures:
5. Rock Band – I must be a frustrated singer. I love Rock Band. Love, love, love it. I eagerly await Tuesdays because it’s DLC day! What are they going to release next? You should hear me wailing on Don’t Fear the Reaper. On second thought, if you value your hearing, skip it. Just because I LIKE to sing, doesn’t mean I SHOULD sing.
4. Katy Perry – she’s not only my current girl crush, but I really love her music. It’s so much fun and easy to sing along too. Yes, it’s mindless bubble gum pop, but hey, it’s not called a guilty pleasure for nothing!
3. America’s Next Top Model – although I watch a bunch of other reality television, this one is by far my guiltiest pleasure. I watch to see what kind of bat-crazy shit the models are gonna do and Tyra is gonna say. And to see what hideous monstrosity Andre Leon Talley is wearing. Seriously, this guy is a fashion icon? OMG. I’m a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, but even I know ginormous caftans aren’t chic. And they make your ass look huge.
2. Diet Dr Pepper – this year alone I have tried to quit the Dr Pepper five times. I am beginning to think it’s not going to happen. Each time I wind up with a three-day migraine (not worth it) and a powerful thirst that nothing else can quench. I take one drink of Dr Pepper and it’s “ahhhhhh”wonderful!
And, my number one top guilty pleasure is:
1. Porn – I can’t help it, I like porn. My favorite era are the old films of the 70s when the actors were, ahem, more actorly-like. And some of the movies had plots. Today’s stuff, in my mind, is just for titillation. And it works on me.
Which is probably why I write erotic romance. It’s a great way to explore the wonderful, wide word of sex without being a total slut or risking any communicable diseases. Plus, I’m not as bendy as some of the characters in my books! And probably not as adventurous. In Keys to Submission, my newest Regency erotica from Red Sage Publishing, my heroine finds herself naked and tied up in an old, dilapidated carriage house, awaiting the first taste of the whip. I’d probably be sneezing my head off. Or looking for critters. Writing that scene was both fun and uncomfortable. I kept checking under my desk for mice.
So, what about you? What are some of your guilty pleasures? I’ll be giving away a copy of Her Dark Master and Keys to Submission
to one commenter in a random drawing. Please leave your email address and I’ll send the winner both e-books!
Jennifer August writes guilt-free about love, romance and lots of sex. Find her ménage debut Enthralled at Siren Bookstrand, her regency eroticas at Red Sage and other books on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
Find Jennifer on the Web: